With COVID-19 we’ve had to adapt how we sell shelters/give out straw. Please carefully read our registration process, below.
- We are unable to ship them (sorry!)
- SIZE (approximate): L=22 x H=15 x W=12 (in inches)
- Appropriate for 1 (maximum 2) cat
- Lined with Durofoam
- Already filled with straw
- $15 per shelter OR
- $10 per shelter when you buy 3 or more OR
- $5 when you bring in a used shelter to “trade in” (the used shelter must be structurally sound and the Durofoam lining MUST be removed in advance – please return the plastic tube so we can reuse it)
STRAW (bring your own bag(s)):
- $5 per large garbage bag
- For smaller amounts of straw, token donations welcome (otherwise free)
- CASH ONLY (change will be available)
- ETRANSFER allowed for payments over $50 (etransfer to email@example.com)
- PAYPAL allowed for payments over $50 (send to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Everyone is required to register in advance for shelters and/or for extra straw (so we know how much to make available when you show up)
The registration button for each distribution date will added the week prior to the date.
FUTURE DISTRIBUTION DATES:
Future dates TBD depending on demand
Toronto Humane Society (outside the garage at back/east side of building)
- 11 River Street, NE corner of River and Queen St East
- Turn onto the laneway (“Old Brewery Ln”) on the north side of the building
- Follow it to the back of the building (when you come to the dog park you will need to turn right)
- Once you turn right you will see visitor parking off to the left and an overpass straight ahead
- Drive to almost under the overpass – you will see us distributing shelters/straw outside of the garage door (on the east side of the building)
- See the below map for exactly where we’ll be!
WHERE NOT TO GO:
When you drive down Old Brewery Ln and get near the end of the lane, you will see this on your right (see the photo below); it’s the Toronto Humane Society’s Public Spay/Neuter Clinic. WE’RE NOT GOING TO BE THERE!
Click here for loads of excellent DIY cat shelters (for all skill levels)
OSPCA Newmarket – each fall their volunteers make a limited number of cat shelters for caretakers to provide a safe, warm place for their colonies during our cold, harsh winters. Contact Monica Seto, Manager, Shelter Health & Wellness – Phone: 1-888-668-7722 or 905-898-7122, Ext 383; Email: email@example.com for more details.
- Click here for some simple (but important!) tips for how to maintain your cat shelter (ie where to place it, how to entice cats into it, how to improve the environment around the shelter to keep the cats etc)
October is the perfect time of year to find straw in stores – it’s sold for Hallowe’en/Thanksgiving decorations, fall dances at schools, you name it. But after Hallowe’en/Thanksgiving, it gets MUCH harder to find. You can get a whole bale of STRAW (don’t buy HAY for shelters) for under $20 and keep it in your garage for the season. ALWAYS ask to make sure the straw has NOT been treated with fire retardant.
- Check your local nurseries, garden centers, and grocery stores (that sell plants).
Contact local schools to see if they have any available (for free) after their Hallowe’en dance.
- Google search animal feed & farm supply stores (I did a quick search and there were ones in Caledon, Newmarket, Lindsay…)
- Hardware stores (i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc)
- Kijiji (that’s how Toronto Street Cats originally found our “source” for straw)
Where ever/however you look for it, make sure it’s STRAW you’re getting. Not HAY