VOLUNTEER: Click here to join our shelter building workshops
- W=1′ x L=1’9″ x H=1′ 3″ – Appropriate for 1 (possibly 2) cat
WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SHIP THEM
COST: $15 per shelter OR $10 per shelter when you buy 5 or more shelters
OPTIONS TO PAY:
- When you pick up the shelter
- Cheque made payable to “Toronto Street Cats”
- In advance (please include a note that it’s for the purchase of a shelter)
HOW: Fill in the following request form (click here)
- the request does not reserve the shelter
- the request is only to assist us in tracking
WHEN/WHERE: Options for pick up:
1. Animal Alliance offices
SOLD OUT. SHELTERS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER THE SHELTER BUILDING WORKSHOPS START ON NOV 2nd
2. The following Saturdays:
- Nov 2: 12:30 – 3pm
- Nov 16: 12:30 – 3pm
- Nov 30: 12:30 – 3pm
- Dec 14: 10am – 3pm
- Jan 11: 10am – 3pm
- Jan 25: 10am – 3pm
- Feb 8: 10am – 3pm
**More dates may be added if demand requires**
The garage of the Toronto Humane Society (11 River Street, Toronto at the NE corner of River and Queen St E.).
Click here for a map of the location.
To get to the garage:
From the lobby take either the stairs or elevator (both are located on the left when you enter the lobby) to the basement. When you enter the basement veer left and follow the signs to the garage entrance
At the back of the building, enter the “caged” door to the right of the garage door
3. By appointment during the week:
SOLD OUT. SHELTERS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER OUR SHELTER BUILDING WORKSHOPS START ON NOV 2nd.
Email email@example.com and we will find a mutually agreeable date/time to meet at the Toronto Humane Society (see address above), where we keep our shelters.
- Bring in a used shelter and get a new one for $5
- Please empty the shelter as best you can before bringing it to us
- Trade in’s not possible when picking up shelters from Animal Alliance
***The plastic tote must be structurally sound**
- Available for FREE at any of the above listed dates
- All we ask is you bring your own bag!
- Straw not available at Animal Alliance
Other resources for straw: October is the perfect time of year to find straw in stores – it’s sold for Hallowe’en/Thanksgiving decorations, fall dances at schools, you name it. But after Hallowe’en/Thanksgiving, it gets MUCH harder to find. You can get a whole bale of STRAW (don’t buy HAY for shelters) for under $20 and keep it in your garage for the season.
- Check your local nurseries, garden centers, and grocery stores (that sell plants).
Contact local schools to see if they have any available (for free) after their Hallowe’en dance.
- Google search animal feed & farm supply stores (I did a quick search and there were ones in Caledon, Newmarket, Lindsay…)
- Hardware stores (i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc)
- Kijiji (that’s how Toronto Street Cats originally found our “source” for straw)
Where ever/however you look for it, make sure it’s STRAW you’re getting. Not HAY
TIPS WHERE/HOW TO PLACE CAT SHELTERS:
- Click here for some simple tips for how to maintain your cat shelter (ie where to place it, how to entice cats into it, how to improve the environment around the shelter to keep the cats etc)
OTHER RESOURCES FOR FERAL CAT SHELTERS:
- Shelters are made each fall by their volunteers.
- $15 each (cash only).
- A limited supply is available.
- To arrange to pick up a shelter(s) contact Monica Seto, Manager, Shelter Health & Wellness:
Phone: 1-888-668-7722 or 905-898-7122, Ext. 383
Watch their youtube video showing how they make their shelters (it’s very easy – you can do it too at very little cost!)
How: Call Lia at 416 462-9541 ext 24 to confirm their hours and that they have enough shelters in stock.
Where: 221 Broadview Ave (on the East side, south of Dundas, Suite 101)
When: Mon – Fri during their office hours
The following Wednesdays:
SHELTERS WILL BE AVAILABLE WHEN OUR FALL SHELTER BUILDING WORKSHOPS START – DATES TBA SOON
Where: The lobby of the public spay/neuter clinic of the Toronto Humane Society (11 River Street, Toronto at the NE corner of River and Queen St E.). The entrance to the clinic is a bright green door located on the north side of the building near the back (the entrance is to the left of the garage doors at the top of the loading dock)
Click here for a map to the Toronto Humane Society.